The display model. Architectural model kit + clear acrylic case - We build the model and supply the case. AUS$400.
The Unity Temple
Considered by many to be one of Frank Lloyd Wright’s most important structures, the Unity Temple is a masterpiece constructed from reinforced concrete. A material previously reserved for warehouses and factories, it has been utilised in its natural form with the sensitivity we have come to expect in Frank Lloyd Wright’s work.
Wright was awarded the commission in 1905 after the original church on the site burned to the ground following a lightning strike. Built between 1906 and 1908 Wright’s design employed a series of concrete forms repeated throughout the building. Wright’s innovative approach was chosen for its cost savings although the finished building was almost twice the contracted sum due to complications during its construction.
The building’s bipartite design, comprising two portions similar in composition and separated by a lower passageway and one section being larger than the other’ is similar in many respects to the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York. Wright also utilised several attributes from the since demolished Larkin Administration Building such as stained glass and a geometric, symmetrical plan.
Despite the budget over run the church issued a statement on the completion: of the Temple:
“We extend to the architect, Mr. Frank Lloyd Wright, our most hearty congratulations upon the wonderful achievement embodied in the new edifice and further extend to him our most sincere thanks for the great service which, through the building, he has rendered to the parish and to the community. We believe the building will long endure as a monument to his artistic genius and that, so long as it endures, it will stand forth as a masterpiece of art and architecture.”
Profound words that echo true today.
Wright later remarked: “Unity Temple makes an entirely new architecture - and is the first expression of it. That is my contribution to modern architecture.”
The Unity Temple was designated a National Historic Landmark* in 1970 and was also added to the National Register of Historic Places* in the same year.
Our instructions are comprehensive and include easy to follow diagrams which take you through every stage of the construction. Glue is required but not supplied.